Freedom of Information Act Policy
Village of Greenup, Illinois
THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO INFORMATION PRODUCED BY THEIR GOVERNMENT, WITH CERTAIN PRIVACY LIMITATIONS (5ILCS 140). IT IS THE POICY OF THE VILLAGE OF GREENUP TO PROVIDE ASSISTANCE IN OBTAINING THAT INFORMATION.
HOW TO OBTAIN INFORMATION:
You may obtain information from the Village of Greenup in a variety of ways.
- Request it in person, by telephone, writing, fax or bye-mail and receive it the same way.
- Request it under the Freedom of Information Act, through the FOIA Officer who will initiate procedures under the Act.
- The Village FOIA Officer’s policy is to immediately give upon request all public information, which is filed in this office. Occasionally, when receiving large requests, we may require a few days to assemble it (The Act provides for a 5-day window, but it is the policy a/this office to take only the time necessary to do the work. In all cases, we will attempt to promptly comply with your request.).
- The Village has a Freedom of Information List of Records available for inspection. All Village records, and Departments are listed in this book for your convenience.
- Original documents may be viewed. Copies are available at as per the Act with certain fees applied.
- Waiver or reduction of fees is available if you qualify. Pursuant to the Act, waivers are granted only for those requests that are made in the interest of the public.
- Information that is available from other offices may be obtained upon request or written FOIA request (Forms available below or in the Clerk’s office). Your requests will be processed as quickly as possible. Large requests may require a few days to assemble as per the Act.
- Occasionally, an extension of time is required. You will be notified in writing if an extension is required.
- Occasionally, some information may be denied pursuant to the Act. You will be notified in writing if material is denied. There is an appeal process if you disagree with the denial. The FOIA Officer and/or the City Attorney will assist you in explaining the appeal process.
- We are happy to assist you should you have any questions regarding your rights under the Act.